With Christmas fast approaching, NHS Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is advising patients not to leave it too late to order or collect repeat prescriptions.
Local pharmacies and GP practices may have reduced opening times or be closed over the bank holiday period. This means it is important that anyone with a long-term condition or needing regular medication is prepared for this by having enough medicines to cover this period.
Dr Sarah Forbes, GP and NHS Leeds CCG’s Associate Medical Director, said: “If you have a long-term condition and take regular medication, it is important to pick up any repeat prescriptions as many GP practices and pharmacies will be closed or have reduced opening hours over the holiday. Forgetting to take medication can have serious health consequences for some patients. Plan ahead this holiday to enjoy a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year.
If you do become unwell over the holiday period you can visit your pharmacist, who can provide free professional advice for common illnesses like coughs, colds or aches and pains. If you have an urgent health issue then you can contact NHS 111 to speak to a fully trained adviser.”
The CCG is also advising that people check their medicine cabinets so that they are prepared for winter should they become ill.
A medicine cabinet should include:
- Paracetamol and aspirin, and equivalent syrups (such as Calpol) for children
- Mild laxatives to relieve constipation
- Re-hydration mixtures for diarrhoea or vomiting
- Indigestion remedy
- Travel sickness tablets
- Tweezers and sharp scissors to remove splinters or cut bandages
- A thermometer to check for fever
- A range of bandages, plasters (various sizes), non-absorbent cotton wool, elastic bandages and dressings
- Antiseptic to clean cuts before they’re dressed (bandaged) and most can treat a range of conditions including insect stings, ulcers and pimples.
To find GP and pharmacy opening times over the bank holidays, please visit https://www.leedsccg.nhs.uk/health/services/christmas-and-new-year/
For media enquiries please contact:
Issued by the communications team at NHS Leeds CCG. You can contact the team on 0113 84 35528 or 0113 84 35470. Alternatively please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org