The NHS encourages young people in Leeds to speak to others about how they’re feeling and seek out help if they need it for Children’s Mental Health Week (1-7 February 2021)
Dr Jane Mischenko, Lead Commissioner for Children and Maternity at NHS Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “The current lockdown is very difficult for many parents, children and young people.
Children’s time with friends and extended family has been significantly reduced and many may be feeling low or worried during this time. Little ones may be missing playing with their friends and older ones may be anxious about their education and the affect they can see the pandemic is having on friends and families. When Children and young people have existing mental health issues, like anxiety, self-harm and eating disorders, these can be made worse by anxiety about coronavirus and the changes it has made to their lives.
“I encourage children and young people to regularly speak about how they’re feeling, whether it be within the family, to a friend, a teacher, or if concerned with a health professional. Adults such as parents and teachers can support this too. The MindMate website (www.mindmate.org.uk/) has a wealth of resources that young people and parents can use for support and advice, as well as directing them to local services.
We’ve also set up a page specifically around how you can take care of your mental wellbeing during the coronavirus outbreak. We know it’s not always easy to talk about mental health, but we want to encourage young people to have open conversations about their wellbeing, and to reach out for help when they need it.”
For urgent support please see the below:
- Kooth – free online wellbeing support for 10-18 year olds www.kooth.com
- Mindmate Single Point of Access – support with emotional wellbeing and mental health for children and young people. Self-referral: young people 13-17 and parents/carers of 5-17 year olds 0300 555 0324
- The Market Place – phone support for 11-25 year olds. Same day appointments every day 11.30am-5.30pm. Call 0113 246 1659. Next day appointments book online www.themarketplaceleeds.org.uk/phonesupport
- Teen Connect – phone / text support for 11-18 year olds from Monday – Friday 3.30pm-2am, Saturday and Sunday 6pm-2am. Phone 0808 800 1212, Text 0771 566 1559
- Safe Zone – crisis support for 11-17 year olds, Monday, Thursday, Sunday 6-9pm. Phone 0113 819 8189
If you are a young person in a crisis you can access the following Leeds services:
For media enquiries please contact:
Issued by the communications team at NHS Leeds CCG. You can contact the team on 0113 84 35528 or 0113 84 35470. Alternatively please email us: email@example.com