If you are booked in for an operation, you may be advised to self-isolate for several days before the procedure, depending on your circumstances. Anyone living in the same household as the person booked in for an operation may also be required to self-isolate.
You may also get tested for COVID-19 a few days before you are due to attend. You may also be required to self-isolate after an operation; the health team looking after you will advise you.
To help keep yourself and our staff safe we would like you to follow this advice closely.
- You should practice strict social distancing in the period before your operation.
- You will also be asked to self-isolate for a few days before your operation, as advised by your health team. This may be for up to 10 days, depending on your circumstances.
- Anyone living in the same household may also be expected to self-isolate. You will be advised of this in your letter or telephone call confirming your appointment.
- If you need any help during this period you can call the NHS Volunteer Responders on 0808 196 3646 between 8am and 8pm.
- We know that taking extra time off work can be difficult. We would welcome the support of employers who should consider the best options for employees (such as working from home) so that people can self-isolate as required.
- Employers and employees should work together to reduce the financial burden on both parties. While we understand that there are economic pressures facing many businesses and individuals, failing to self-isolate puts you, other patients and our staff at risk.
- Where possible, we’re asking employers to show flexibility including any support with sickness pay and leave.
- For people who are self-employed, we know that self-isolating for several days will impact on your income and customers. Please do factor this in should you be on a waiting list for an operation. We will make every effort to give you as much notice as possible.
- All NHS services in Leeds are asking people to wear a face covering when attending face-to-face appointments except for under 3 year olds or those with a medical condition that makes wearing a face covering difficult. We are maintaining 2 metre social distancing in healthcare settings in Leeds – please follow signage and instructions.