Being active all through your life course is essential to leading a healthy and fulfilled life. Regular physical activity has a huge list of health benefits.
Being active all through your life course is essential to leading a healthy and fulfilled life. Regular physical activity has a huge list of benefits to health including:
- Feeling more relaxed and sleeping better
- Giving you more energy
- Improves your mobility and flexibility
- It also helps protect against heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, becoming overweight or obese and depression
Get your 30 minutes a day
To gain these health benefits adults should be physically active at a moderate intensity for at least 30 minutes a day on five or more days a week. The 30 minutes of physical activity does not need to be done all at once, in fact it can be split into two sessions of 15 minutes or even three 10 minute sessions throughout the day. This can mean even the busiest of people can get their 30 minutes in a day!
The following activities can count towards your daily aim when done for 30 minutes or more:
- All types of active housework including:
- Cleaning and dusting around the house
- Hoovering up
- Gardening and DIY including:
- Painting and decorating
- Mowing the lawn
This exercise and calories calculator from the British Heart Foundation will help you work out how many calories you might be able to burn depending on the activity you have chosen to do.
One You Leeds offer a range of free physical activity classes and taster sessions, to help you get moving.