A range of services are available to children and young people with additional needs to support them and their family.
Access to services is determined on a needs basis, it is helpful for a child to have an assessment of complex needs. In Leeds the first assessment offered should be a common assessment.
The Common Assessment Framework (CAF) is an assessment of your child’s needs. This is often completed by a professional known to you and your family from health, early years or education. The CAF can help record your child and families needs and identify what additional support is required. Support could include assistance with benefits, housing, adaptations and equipment, short breaks or child care.
For further information on CAF please speak to someone working with your child within school or health or alternatively contact the Integrated process’s team on 0113 247 6830 who will be able to help identify someone to complete the assessment.
For more information and frequently asked questions please visit the Leeds City Council website.
Children and Families Act 2014
New legislation has been proposed to improve services for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). The proposals are part of the Children and Families Act 2014 which became law on 13 March 2014 and will need to be put into practice from September 2014.
Partners across Leeds City Council, education services, parents and carer groups, health services and voluntary sector groups are all working together to make these changes happen here in Leeds.
- Better information about local services for families – the ‘Leeds Local Offer’ (see below for details on the Leeds Local Offer)
- More opportunities for families to get involved in developing local services
- Changes to the statutory assessment process to make it quicker and more streamlined
- A more personalised approach to planning support
See the Leeds City Council website to stay up to date with the latest dates and find out more about any forthcoming information events.
What is the Leeds Local Offer?
- ensures families can access clear information about all services for those aged 0-25 with SEN and disabilities.
- explains what families are entitled to and can expect from services.
- gathers feedback from people who use services.
- uses feedback to support service development.
Please find out more about the Leeds Local Offer
A guide on the support and services for children and young people with autism spectrum conditions
This guide was put together by a group of people working in education, health and social care services, and parents/carers of children and young people with Adult Social Care (Leeds City Council).
If you need more detailed information, you can find it on our Leeds Local Offer website or contact the Leeds SEND information advice support service (formerly known as the parent partnership service) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.