A comprehensive list describing the emotional, physical and mental health benefits of breastfeeding your infant.
- Reduces the risk of babies developing many different types of illnesses (e.g. Gastro-enteritis, ear infections) and provides protection against diseases and conditions later on in life.
- Has a positive effect upon the health and wellbeing of mothers by protecting against breast and ovarian cancers
- Promotes bonding between mother and baby
The Department of Health recommends that babies are fed only breast milk for the first six months of life.
Food for Life
Across the city people have been working together, voluntary groups, children’s centres, midwives, health visitors and many others to create a plan for how we can promote breastfeeding and provide support for women and families who want to breastfeed their babies.
The vision of ‘Food for Life’ is to create a city where:
- Every family is fully aware of the benefits of breastfeeding and therefore able to make an informed decision about how to feed their baby.
- Every family is able to access the information, support and help they need in hospital and community settings from appropriate publicly funded and voluntary services.
- Public and private sector services and settings all welcome and support breastfeeding mothers.