A workshop was organised primarily with young parents to discuss their experience of pregnancy from birth to a year on. Some healthcare professionals were also in attendance and looked at the pathway from their point of view.
Brief description of the project
The Leeds Young Parent Project Group is a group of young parents (under 25) and healthcare professionals that meet regularly to review and improve maternity services for young people. In 2018 the group identified that maternity information to support young parents was not clear.
This engagement reviewed existing maternity information for young people and will use feedback to improve the way people are referred (the pathway) into young parent services.
Who did we speak to?
Few involved four young parents and healthcare professionals in our workshop.
What and how did we ask?
We used a workshop to understand people’s views on existing information for young parents in Leeds. We promoted the event using a co-produced leaflet and asked people to tell us:
- what information they needed as young parents.
- how they would like to access information about services for young parents.
What did people tell us?
Young parents told us that:
- information should be targeted at people aged 25 and under.
- the ways people can refer into services should be clear.
- people should be able to feedback their views on existing services.
- information should be available on a website.
- the website should be secure and confidential.
- we should not use the word ‘pathway’.
What did we do?
The maternity services team and the Young Parent Project Group are currently in the process of co-producing a website for young parents in Leeds. The secure website will be aimed at under 25’s and will feature:
- information on referral into maternity services for young people.
- opportunities to feedback on services.
- jargon-free text.
If you would like to read more information about this engagement please see the downloads section below.
If you have any questions about this engagement please email us at email@example.com or call on 0113 843 5470.