The Tier 3 Specialist Weight Management Service offers a weight management programme for a period of 12-18 months that support adults with severe and complex obesity to lose weight through a range of interventions including psychological approaches and dietary changes.
(This video from Public Health England focuses on the importance of weight management. The first 1:45 is informative and relevant to all).
Brief description of project
This engagement focused on the Tier 3 Specialist Weight Management Service in Leeds. This service supports adults with severe and complex obesity to lose weight by providing a 12-18 month programme.
This service is currently being re-procured (we are finding a new provider for the service) and the feedback from this engagement will be used to shape the new service.
Who did we speak to?
We received feedback from 39 people who have used the Tier 3 Specialist Weight Management Service in Leeds or were interested in the project.
What and how did we ask?
We wanted to understand the views and experiences of people accessing the service so that we could design a new service that meets the needs of people in Leeds.
We used a survey to understand the views of service users, carers and the wider public. The survey was available online and providers of the service shared paper copies of the survey with service users they saw in clinic. We also promoted the survey on social media and shared it with relevant groups.
What did people tell us?
- People wanted options of face-to-face appointments as well as online consultations.
- People wanted appointments in a range of accessible locations. This might include hospital settings and local health venues.
- People wanted a range of appointment times including evening and weekends.
- People had positive experiences of using the service.
- It was important that staff were supportive, understanding and motivational.
- People told us about the range of health professionals and tools they would find helpful to support them through treatment.
What did we do?
We agreed that the new provider must:
- Offer face to face and online consultations
- Offer appointments in local health venues, hospitals and people’s own homes where needed
- Offer appointments on different times and days
- Employ a highly-specialised and well trained multi-disciplinary team
- Offer a range of support tools that are tailored to the needs of individuals
We also shared people’s positive feedback with the provider.
If you would like to read more information about this engagement please see the downloads section below.
If you have any questions about this engagement or if you require a paper copy of the report, please email Andra Szabo, email@example.com or call on 0113 84 35450.