An engagement to understand registered patient’s needs and preferences for future GP services
Brief description of project
The contract for The Light GP Practice comes to an end on 21 May 2019. NHS Leeds CCG is re-procuring (paying for) the service. Part of the re-procurement process was to talk to registered patients at The Light. This engagement helped us to understand people’s experience of using The Light and their needs and preferences for future services. This information will help us to develop a service that meets the needs of registered patients.
Who did we speak to?
We invited all patients who were registered at The Light to share their views on this change. We received feedback from 573 patients and carers.
What and how did we ask?
We used a survey to understand people’s views on this change. We wrote to every household registered at The Light and sent a copy of the survey. Additional copies of the survey were available on request and people could also fill in the survey online. We also held a drop-in event so that people could speak directly to staff about the change.
What did people tell us?
- Overall, patients were satisfied with the clinical service they had received.
- The appointment booking system was not always easy to use.
- Waiting times for appointments were sometimes too long.
- Many people were interested in using digital (online) services to help manage their health care.
- People liked the location of the practice and it was important that the practice remains located in the city centre.
What did we do?
We made some recommendations to the commissioning manager, based on what people told us. These recommendations were written into the service specification to ensure that the new service meets the needs of patients.
The new service will be expected to:
- Review the appointment booking system and make it easier to make GP appointments
- Reduce waiting times by increase the number of appointments available and offering evening and weekend appointments
- Provide digital services alongside face to face appointments
- Provide a service in the city centre
If you would like to read more information about this engagement please see the downloads section below.
If you have any questions about this engagement please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0113 84 35450.