We wanted to know what mattered most to people when choosing which service (or provider) to go to for their Non-Obstetric Ultrasound (NOUS) appointments.
Brief description of the project
Non-Obstetric Ultrasound (NOUS) is a procedure that offers patients non-invasive scans to diagnose a range of conditions. NOUS scans are often available in local GP services.
As there are a number of different providers of this service, patients are able to visit the service that suits them best.
The aim of this engagement is to highlight what matters most to patients making that decision. In doing this, it also contributed to wider discussions about choice, for example:
- choice of location
- quality and the reputation of the provider.
NOUS clinics operating in Leeds were given short questionnaires to give to patients following their appointments. 144 questionnaires were provided to the clinics.
Who did we speak to?
75 patients and one relative, friend or carer responded to the survey.
What and how did we ask?
Patients were asked to rate the importance of the following five considerations when making their NOUS appointments:
- The service was close to home, or to work
- I could get to the appointment easily using public transport
- It was easy to park nearby
- I was able to get my appointment quickly
- The quality and reputation of this particular provider
Some patients completed their questionnaires before they left the clinic. Other clinics gave patients the forms to take away and complete at home.
What did people tell us?
From the responses, people told us:
- Having a service close to home was very important or quite important to 85% of respondents.
- Being able to park nearby was very important to 73% of respondents,
- 51% of people told us that getting to their appointment easily by using public transport was not very important.
- 71% said the quality and reputation of the provider were very important.
- 100% of respondents said they were treated with dignity and respect by the staff.
Find out more about what people said in our engagement report:
What did we do?
Findings from the survey were fed back at an event for organisations providing NOUS services on 16 September 2019. The findings will included in ongoing wider patient choice conversations.
If you have any questions about this engagement please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0113 843 5450.