The transformation of mental health services that are necessary to address significant unmet demand cannot be delivered overnight but we’ve made important progress, with investment in mental health rising faster than increases in other areas of the health budget and starting to deliver better outcomes for more people.
Brief description of the project
NHS England is developing a long term plan for mental health in the NHS. NHS England asked CCGs around the country to support the development of the plan by engaging with local people about mental health
This engagement asked people in Leeds to share their views on mental health. Findings from this engagement will help NHS England develop a 10-year plan for mental health in the NHS.
Who did we speak to?
We worked with partner organisations to share the survey with people across Leeds. We received 222 responses from a range of different communities.
What and how did we ask?
We used online and paper surveys to gather people’s thoughts and experiences. We asked people to tell us about:
- Their priorities for mental health in Leeds.
- Gaps in mental health services.
- Barriers to mental health services.
- How we can improve mental health services.
What did people tell us?
People told us a number of things they felt could help improve the provision of mental health services in England. They told us;
- There is a lack of understanding about mental ill-health in the general population and amongst health care staff.
- It takes a long time to get assessed for therapies and then a long time to receive therapeutic interventions.
- Services often do not work or communicate in an integrated way.
- A lack of services/beds and access to counsellors cause longer waiting times and result in more hospital admissions or urgent interventions.
- The mental health system needs significant funding investment.
- Treatments and therapies need to be person-centred.
- There needs to be better integration of mental and physical health care services.
What did we do?
NHS England were leading on this project and the feedback has been shared with them to help develop their long term plan for mental health care in England. You can follow their progress on the NHS England website: www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/
If you would like to read more information about this engagement please see the downloads section below.
If you have any questions about this engagement us email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0113 843 5470.
Engagement Report (2MB)In order to view PDF documents you will need Adobe PDF Reader
Long term plan for mental health in the NHS – Survey (284 KB)In order to view PDF documents you will need Adobe PDF Reader