The reader group is a group of CCG Network members who review patient literature and help us improve the quality of the information.
Why do we have a reader group?
Evidence suggests that involving patients and the public helps us produce more effective literature. To support this, NHS Leeds CCG has a reader group made up of patients, members of the public and NHS staff. The group ensure public documents are written in plain English and are understandable to different communities in Leeds.
How does it work?
We send out (via email or post) documents, videos, and other literature to our reader group members. Following the guidance provided (developed by the reader group), the members provide their constructive feedback in order to inform what the final version of the literature will look like. You can view the guidance below in the ‘downloads’ section.
We are always on the lookout for more people to join our reader group. If you are interested or want to know more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 843 5470.
How to submit a document to be reviewed:
Offers to send documentation, surveys, leaflets, web pages, or animations are open to organisations throughout Leeds who would like their information reviewing by the group. If you would like a document to be reviewed by the group, please email email@example.com with a PDF of your document and a completed guidance form (an editable Word version can be found below in the ‘Downloads’ section).
Before submitting a document for review, make sure to read through the information in the guidance form, and the content style guide for NHS writing. Examples of documents and feedback can be found in the Reports section below.
Some of the most common themes within the reader group’s feedback are:
- Spelling and grammar mistakes
- Not offered in an alternative format (e.g. other languages)
- No links to further information, websites, etc.
- No contact number
- Too much information, making the page look cluttered
As part of an ongoing process to improve the Reader Group, our members completed an evaluation survey in December 2019. They told us what works well in the group, and what needs to be improved. The following table shows some of the most common feedback we received, and how we have addressed these issues so far.
Following feedback from the reader group, we have done the following. You can read the full report below.
- We have produced a brief letter/email with information about what the reader group is, and what is expected from members and the organisations who use it.
- Reduced the number of questions on the feedback survey to nine, or 11 depending on the type of document.
- We have produced an email that can be sent out to individuals who have not returned the report within the time frame. Organisations will not be permitted to use the Reader Group a second time until the first report is returned, and the guidance form has been updated accordingly.