The Leeds Safeguarding Children Partnership (LSCP) is a statutory body, as required under the Children Act 2004, which consists of senior representatives of all the key agencies in Leeds who are jointly responsible for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
These agencies include the relevant NHS trusts, West Yorkshire Police, West Yorkshire Probation, the Child and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS), the Leeds Adult Safeguarding Board, and representatives from the third sector, schools and higher education settings.
The LSCP’s statutory objectives are to:
- Co-ordinate local work undertaken by all agencies and individuals to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people.
- Ensure the effectiveness of that work
Children and young people, their welfare, protection and the promotion of their best interests are at the heart of everything the LSCP does.
Their vision is for Leeds to be a child friendly city in which children and young people are safe from harm in their families, their communities and their neighbourhoods.
The functions of the LSCP include to:
- Develop policies and procedures for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in Leeds
- Communicate to partner agencies the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, raising their awareness of how this can best be done;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of what is done by partner agencies, individually and collectively, to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people, and advise them on ways to improve;
- Participate in the planning of services for children and young people in Leeds; and
- Undertake serious case reviews and advise partners on lessons to be learned.
The LSCP provides a series of multi-agency safeguarding learning and development opportunities, free of charge to all staff and volunteers in the city. For further information on the training available or to apply for a course see the LSCP website: www.leedsscp.org.uk
To receive regular updates on training, events and local protocols for safeguarding children and young people in Leeds, register on the LSCP website by clicking on the “email sign-up” button: www.leedsscp.org.uk