As the rate of COVID-19 cases increases in Leeds, there is a need to be extra vigilant. It’s important to say that by ensuring a COVID secure working environment, the impact of any confirmed cases among staff can be minimised.
There is a link below to the local guidance for Primary Care of confirmed cases, which includes a flow chart for the process to follow along with a COVID secure spot checklist that you may use to give assurance that all measures are in place.
To support practices, the daily SitRep has been revised with the help of practice managers. As the incidence of COVID-19 is increasing, we would once again urge practices to participate in completing the daily SitRep and the OPEL rating submission. This information can be used to identify where support may be needed and inform the wider system of pressures that may be experienced in primary care.
What are the responsibilities of GP practices?
The practice manager session on 20 August also outlined the responsibilities of the practice in relation to confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the practice. In line with the key principles of the Leeds Outbreak Plan, the focus for GP practices is on:
- Preventing infection through good IPC arrangements
- Minimising face to face contact with patients
- Providing clear instructions for staff and patients
- Ensuring appropriate PPE is in place
As an employer, GP practices are responsible for:
- Keeping staff and patients safe
- Considering weekly spot checks of IPC measures
- Informing the CCG of new cases of staff who have tested positive for COVID-19 via the current daily SitRep comments box (do not include names here – just new cases)
- Informing PHE Health Protection Team if there are two or more confirmed staff cases within 14 days of each other – email ICC.YorkshireHumber@phe.gov.uk or call 0113 386 0300
- Carrying out risk assessments to establish if a breach has occurred
It was also agreed that practices could raise any observations they may have about areas in their communities that they felt were not following COVID secure guidance. Any intelligence you might see of an increase in COVID -19 positive tests results in the clinical system can be added to the comments section on daily SitRep.
- Leeds Outbreak Plan Guidance
- Business continuity checklist
- Information session recording
- Information session slides
- Local guidance document, including the spot check template
Additional information relating to employers’ obligations
- COVID-19 management of staff and exposed patients or residents in health and social care settings guidance.
- National infection prevention and control guidance including in staff areas
- Practices should be fully familiar with when PPE is required
- Practices and all primary care settings should consider workplace guidance on making businesses Covid secure
- Standard operating procedure for general practice in the context of coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Additional Health and Safety guidance useful for non-clinical areas
- Guidance on Test and Trace